Our industry-leading Wellbore Shielding® solutions—featuring our flagship FLC 2000® and STAR SHIELD® products—have enabled trouble-free drilling in some of the most unstable, mechanically weak shales in the world. These ultra-low invasion additives to drilling, completion and workover fluids protect the formation by quickly forming a thin, low-permeability barrier on the face of the wellbore to seal a wide range of fracture sizes. This “shield” minimizes fluid and pressure invasion into matrix pores and microfractures, or between bedding planes, to:
- Stabilize and strengthen the wellbore
- Prevent fractures from propagating
- Minimize fluid loss and formation damage
- Prevent sloughing, washouts and hole closure/collapse
- Protect against lost circulation
- Reduce the potential for differential sticking
- Allow mud densities greater than fracture initiation pressure
Unlike products used to remediate losses, these preventative solutions reduce non-productive time, provide significant cost savings and preserve wellbore stability throughout the drilling and completion process—helping operators improve production as a result.
Our Wellbore Shielding solutions include a range of options to meet various well parameters. The STAR SHIELD product line is specifically formulated for the unconventional wells of North America.